Please remember, as an uphill skier, you are a guest of these resorts. Please respect their policies, employees, and patrons in order to keep this uphill privilege available.
Choose your skin track to maximize visibility to other traffic while still maintaining a safe distance from such traffic. In low-lighting conditions, think along the lines of bicycle safety, with a solid white headlamp in front, blinking red light(s) in back, and reflective clothing. Remember that these are policies for uphill travel within the ski resort boundary, as opposed to backcountry access, which requires utilization of safe backcountry travel skills through potentially dangerous terrain.
If you have any updates to these policies (changes, additions, etc) please email us from the contact page using the ‘website’ category.
- June Mountain: http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/inyo/recreation/recarea/?recid=70817&actid=89
- Mt High: No official policy, but generally allowed.
- Snow Summit: No official policy, but generally allowed.
- Sugar Bowl: http://sugar3.sugarbowl.com/tahoe/178/site/graphics//new/pdfs/SugarBowlUphillUsePolicy2013-14.pdf
- General Summit County Ski Area Uphill Article: http://www.summitdaily.com/article/20121103/NEWS/121109940
- A Basin: Uphill is permitted during operating hours on the east side of High Noon to the Black Mountain Lodge at mid-mountain. Our operating hours are Mon-Fri 9:00am-4:00pm; weekends & holidays 8:30am-4:00pm. Those wishing to skin or hike to the summit may do so before or after operating hours. Guests using uphill access at any time must follow the guidelines in our Uphill Access Policy. Ski Patrol will decide on the status of uphill access each morning by 6:00am. The status of uphill access can be found on the Runs Open page of ArapahoeBasin.com. Uphill access is subject to closure due to weather or other on-mountain conditions. Please abide by all posted closures and ski area regulationssee very bottom of this web page for details.
- Aspen: Allowed at all four different resorts, but with different restrictions. http://www.aspensnowmass.com/events-and-activities/events/power-of-four-ski-mountaineering-race/uphilling-rules
- Beaver Creek: http://www.beavercreek.com/the-mountain/safety-on-the-slopes.aspx#uphilltravel#Top
- Resort Policy:http://www.breckenridge.com/mountain/mountain-safety.aspx#nonliftaccessnosleddingpolicy#Top
- Town of Breckenridge Policy: http://www.townofbreckenridge.com/index.aspx?page=1187
- After Hours Parking Permit: http://www.townofbreckenridge.com/Modules/ShowDocument.aspx?documentid=5821
- Copper: http://www.coppercolorado.com/winter/the_mountain/safety/devices.html
- Crested Butte: http://www.skicb.com/the-mountain/safety
- Keystone: http://www.keystoneresort.com/ski-and-snowboard/mountain-safety.aspx#/UphillAccess
- Loveland: http://www.skiloveland.com/themountain/uphillaccess.aspx
- Monarch Mountain: http://www.skimonarch.com/general-info/uphill-travel-policy
- Steamboat: http://www.steamboat.com/the-mountain/safety-and-responsibility/uphill-access.aspx
- Winter Park:http://www.winterparkresort.com/the-mountain/tips-and-safety.aspx(scroll down to click on “Official Open/Closed Access Policy of Winter Park Resort”)
- Wolf Mountain: Uphill skiing is allowed on the entire mountain during lift operating hours only.
- Vail: http://www.vail.com/mountain/mountain-safety.aspx#safetytips#Top (scroll down to Non-lift Uphill Access Policy
- Mohawk Mountain: http://www.mohawkmtn.com/uphill-policy.html
- Camden Snow Bowl: http://winter.camdensnowbowl.com/nordic-skiing-snowshoeing-backcountry-trails-pets-and-closed-days-use-policies (also click on link for CLOSED DAYS SKIING POLICY)
- Saddleback: http://www.saddlebackmaine.com/saddleback-ski-area-uphill-access
- Shawnee: http://www.shawneepeak.com/mountain/uphill-policy/
- Sugarloaf http://sugarloaf.com/the-mountain/uphill-policy
- Sunday River: http://www.sundayriver.com/winter/the-mountain/trail-maps
- Wachusett: Early-morning ascent routes are skinner's left of Ralph's Run and Conifer Connection (as snowmobiles use the other side); uphill traffic must stop once the lifts open for the public (which is often as early as 15 minutes before stated opening times).
- Big Sky: Not Allowed
- Bridger Bowl: Allowed before and after operating dates
- Moonlight: Not allowed
- Whitefish: http://www.skiwhitefish.com/uphill/
- Cannon: http://www.cannonmt.com/uphill.html
- Cranmore: Allowed during operational hours and requires a $12 daily skinning pass or lift ticket
- Crotched: Yes, uphill travel is allowed
- Loon: http://www.loonmtn.com/info/winter/trail-and-uphill-policy.aspx
- Pats Peak: Skinning allowed during midweek non-holiday in-season operational hours until 2:00, with purchase of a reduced-price ticket ("Bluster Area")
- Ragged Mountain: Only allowed during operating hours - http://www.raggedmountainresort.com/uphill-traffic-policy.html
- Sunapee: http://www.mountsunapee.com/mtsunapeewinter/onthemountain/uphill-travel-policy.asp
- Waterville Valley: http://www.waterville.com/trail-uphill-policy.html
- Wildcat: Requires $10 uphill ticket - http://www.skiwildcat.com/trails-terrain.html
- Sandia Peak: no policy, but generally allowed
- Ski Santa Fe: no policy, but generally allowed
- Taos: no officially allowed
- Bachelor: http://www.mtbachelor.com/winter/mountain/mountain_experience/uphill_travel
- Mount Hood Meadows: http://www.skihood.com/The-Mountain/Safety/Avalanche-Reduction-Operations
- Timberline (Mt Hood): Allowed from above Timberline Lodge on demarcated climber’s route along eastern periphery of ski area boundary
- Elk Mountain: No allowed
- Liberty: not allowed after hours, no official policy during hours
- Round Top: not allowed after hours, no official policy during hours
- White Tail: not allowed after hours, no official policy during hours
- Alta: No uphill traffic allowed during operating dates. Allowed pre and post season except when marked by sign at the base.
- Brighton: http://www.brightonresort.com/mountain/ski-patrol/brighton-resort-uphill-travel-plan/
- Canyons: No uphill traffic allowed
- Deer Valley: No uphill traffic allowed
- Nordic Valley (formerly Wolf Mountain): Uphill allowed on set runs with uphill pass
- Park City Mountain Resort: No official policy to allow or disallow it. A policy is expected for 2013-2014 season. You can be allowed one day, and asked to leave the next.
- Snowbasin: https://www.snowbasin.com/the-mountain/mountain-safety/
- Snowbird: http://www.snowbird.com/safety/ - call (801) 933-2222 for updates
- Solitude: No uphill traffic allowed
- Bromley: Prohibited during non-operational hours (concerns with lighting, grooming, snowmaking); during operational hours, stay on trail edges.
- Burke: http://www.skiburke.com/rules
- Jay Peak: http://www.jaypeakresort.com/skiing-riding/the-mountain/winter-uphill-travel-policy/
- Killington: http://www.killington.com/winter/mountain/mountain_info/uphill_travel
- Mad River Glen: Allowed only during nonoperational hours; park in upper tier of main parking lot (not in main area). http://www.madriverglen.coop/echo/Winter%202012.pdf (see p. 4)
- Magic: http://www.magicmtn.com/earn_your_turns.php
- “Magic is all about the sport of skiing and riding. We celebrate those who take it seriously, want to be challenged and are willing to test their limits. Those who climb our hill and ski down may not be providing direct revenue for us, but we also know that they are the type of folks who will probably stop in for a bevie at the bar. maybe a bite to eat, and tell others what a good time they had at Magic.”
- Mount Snow: At the bottom of this page - http://mountsnow.com/snow-report
- Okemo: http://www.okemo.com/mountain-info/uphill-travel-policy/
- Pico Mountain: http://www.killington.com/winter/mountain/mountain_info/uphill_travel
- Smuggler’s Notch: http://www.smuggs.com/pages/winter/skiride/uphill-travel-policy.php
- Stowe: No uphill traffic during operational hours on open trails - http://www.stowe.com/ski-ride/conditions/uphill-travel-policy/
- Stratton: Uphill traffic should stay on green and blue terrain, to the extreme right, single file. No dogs.
- Sugarbush: http://www.sugarbush.com/snow-trails-conditions/winter-trail-use-policy
- Alpental: Check in with ski patrol before any skinning.
- Crystal: http://crystalmountainresort.com/The-Mountain/Safety/Uphill-Travel
- Mission Ridge: http://www.missionridge.com/mountain-safety/uphill-mountain-policy.html
- Mt Spokane: http://www.mtspokane.com/uphill-travel-policy
- Steven’s Pass: http://www.stevenspass.com/Stevens/the-mountain/safety-uphill-traffic.aspx
- Grand Targhee: Allowed until 9AM in limited areas
- Jackson Hole: Not Allowed
- Snow King Resort:http://www.snowkingmountain.com/uphill-traffic.aspx