2015 US World Championship Team Selection Update and 2014 Rankings/Race Overview
The 2015 US World Championship team will be chosen from three criteria:
- Final 2014 USSMA Points List
- 2014 ISMF World Cup results
- 2014/15 USSMA Selection Races
The top 3-5 ranked men and women on the US Points List will be automatic team selections; the exact "automatic selection" number will be confirmed by April 1st, 2014. The remaining members of the team will be selected at qualifying events in December and early January, again to be confirmed by April 1st, 2014. The selection criteria rewards the highest-placings of competitors in the two years prior to the World Championships (USSMA Points), international competition (World Cup top 5), as well giving less experienced/newer competitors an opportunity to make the team (Qualifying Events).
"How do I lower my Points / improve my Ranking to make the team?" The simple answer is: compete in as many high ranked US events as possible and with win or finish as close as possible to the winner. Category 2 and 3 races have the next best penalties after HC and Cat 1. The following events in the USA are HC, Category 1 and Category 2 and give racers the best opportunity to improve their points.
- Wyoming Rando Roundup Series - Jackson/Targhee/Snow King, WY
- ISMF Continental Championships / Powder Keg Series - Brighton / Salt Lake City, Utah
- US National Championship Series - Crested Butte, CO
Category 1 Races
- ISMF Irwin Lodge - Crested Butte, CO
- Heathen Challenge, CO
- The Five Peaks - Breckenridge, CO
- The Power of Four - Aspen, CO
Category 2 Races
- Wolf Creek, CO
- Santa Fe Fireball - Santa Fe, NM
- Taos Rio Hondo Raid - Taos, NM
- Crowbar - Logan, UT
- Jay Peak Rando Race - Jay Peak, VT
- Owl's Head - Quebec Can
- Whitefish Whiteout - Whitefish, MT
- Cody's Challenge - Steamboat, CO
Note there are significant exceptions to the above “simple explanation”: racers must be within 20 % of the winner’s time, there are World Cup selection options and Competition Committee selection options that may reduce the qualifying spots at Sunlight Mt.
Racers are advised to read the full selection criteria. Team members must be US citizens. Team members must purchase an ISMF license via the USSMA. Team members’ travel, lodging and entry to the event is not fully supported by the USSMA. The USSMA will offset a portion of lodging and travel (rental vans) at the venue but team members should plan on self-funding.
Email [email protected] with further questions.