US National Ski Mountaineering Team
2015 US World Championship Team Selection FAQ
Top skimo racers in the US will have the opportunity to participate in the 2015 World Championship in Verbier, Switzerland in 2015.
- When will “Worlds” take place? February 6 to 12, 2015.
- What must I do to be considered for the US “Worlds” Team?
- Be a US citizen.
- Race in USSMA events! (See No. 9.)
- Who determines composition of the US “Worlds” Team? The USSMA selection committee (the “Committee”).
- What criteria does the Committee use to determine composition of the US “Worlds” Team? Selection will be determined on merit and race performance. Although the Committee has some discretion, race performance will be measured primarily by the USSMA points ranking system, which tracks performance at USSMA events and accounts for course difficulty, quality of field, and percent back from winner.
- How many people comprise the US “Worlds” Team? The US “Worlds” Team will most likely be comprised of 8 male racers and 8 female racers, although it is possible to take up to 12 male racers and 12 female racers.
- How can I be guaranteed a spot on the US “Worlds” Team as of April 2014?
- Be ranked among the top 4 racers on the USSMA points ranking system as of April 1, 2014; OR
- Win the 2014 US National Championship race in Crested Butte, Colorado.
- How can I otherwise secure a spot on the US “Worlds” Team? Perform well in three (3) USSMA qualifying events that will take place in December 2014 and January 2015. The USSMA qualifying events for purposes of this paragraph will be announced no later than October 1, 2014. The top 3 or 4 male racers and top 3 or 4 female racers (depending on whether 4 or 5 racers qualified under Paragraph 6) with the most points accumulated from the three USSMA qualifying events will receive spots on the US “Worlds” Team.
- The Committee will have discretion to add 1 to 4 male racers and 1 to 4 female racers to the US “Worlds” Team (bringing the total number of racers on the US “Worlds” Team to a maximum of 12 total male racers and 12 total female racers).
- If I make the US “Worlds” Team, can I expect financial support from USSMA? Honest answer: not much. Sorry. Still, it’s WORLDS! You should expect to pay for your ISMF license, your lodging, and airfare. In the past, USSMA has offset some lodging and travel expenses and hopes to continue to do so.
- What events qualify as “USSMA events” for purposes of Paragraphs 4 and 6? See the events page for details on each race.
The US National Team will be selected between the 2013-2014 and 2014-2015 season results. The 2013-2014 season selected 4 members of the national team (see http://www.ussma.org/sites/default/files/US-SkiMo-Team-2014-Qualification-Details.pdf for details). The 2014-2015 season will use the Qualifying Races listed below to select the remaining team members. In preparation for the World Championship, there will be specific qualifying races for both the sprint race and vertical race. For full details on qualifications, please see the qualification document at http://www.ussma.org/sites/default/files/US-SkiMo-Team-2015-Qualification-Details.pdf
Email [email protected] with further questions.