US National Ski Mountaineering Team
2017 US World Championship Team Selection FAQ
Top skimo racers in the US will have the opportunity to participate in the 2015 World Championship in Verbier, Switzerland in 2015.
- When will “Worlds” take place? TBD
- What must I do to be considered for the US “Worlds” Team?
- Be a US citizen.
- Race in USSMA events! (See No. 9.)
- Who determines composition of the US “Worlds” Team? The USSMA selection committee (the “Committee”).
- What criteria does the Committee use to determine composition of the US “Worlds” Team? Selection will be determined on merit and race performance. Although the Committee has some discretion, race performance will be measured primarily by the USSMA points ranking system, which tracks performance at USSMA events and accounts for course difficulty, quality of field, and percent back from winner.
- How many people comprise the US “Worlds” Team? The US “Worlds” Team will most likely be comprised of 8 male racers and 8 female racers, although it is possible to take up to 12 male racers and 12 female racers.
- How can I secure a spot on the US “Worlds” Team? See the 2017 Team Qualification document.
- If I make the US “Worlds” Team, can I expect financial support from USSMA? Honest answer: not much. Sorry. Still, it’s WORLDS! You should expect to pay for your ISMF license, your lodging, and airfare. In the past, USSMA has offset some lodging and travel expenses and hopes to continue to do so.
- What events qualify as “USSMA events”? See the2017 Team Qualification document for the qualification events and events page for details on each race.
Email [email protected] with further questions.